You may know that the baja tele wiring is a tele with 2 single coils, a 4-way switch to put both pickups in series in position 4, and a Fender S-1 switch (special pot in vol position) to put the neck pup out-of-phase (OOP).
Recently, I had a customer ask if I could do a baja tele layout but with a push/pull in the neck instead of an s-1 switch. He wanted to keep his custom wooden knobs. So, after a lot of research I wired up one of my tele project gutars first, then did his. This is what I did with my tele:
neck: Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro|
bridge: ’52 Fender NoCaster
– 4-way switch (position 4 is n+b in series)
– vol pot: 250k push pull pot put neck pup out of phase
– tone pot: standard 250k CTS pot with .047 orange drop
So, with this layout you get 6 tonal options out of 2 single coil pickups:
– 4-way switch with push / pull down:
4: n+b (series and in phase)
2: n+b (parallel and in phase)
– 4-way switch with push / pull up (puts neck pup out of phase):
4: n+b (series and out of phase)
2: n+b (parallel and out of phase)
BTW, thx to all the help from waparker4 from TDPRI. Checkout this TDPRI thread.